Friday, March 15, 2013

2013 Iditarod Champion- Mitch Seavey


Wow it was a crazy Iditarod finish this year.  Mitch Seavey came in first but close behind him was Aliy Zirkle.  I love a new feature that Iditarod.com offered this year was an insider subscription for the GPS tracker for $19.95.  I love it and could watch real time on the progress of how mushers were doing.  Unfortunately I did not witness Mitch or Aliy's finishI think I should have ditched my date with my husband and walked down to front street ;-).
Mitch Seavey became the oldest winner, a two-time Iditarod champion, when he drove his dog team under the burled arch in Nome on Tuesday evening, March 12, 2013. Race marshal Mark Nordman is at right.  (AP Photo/The Anchorage Daily News, Bill Roth)
Mitch Seavey became the oldest winner, a two-time Iditarod champion, when he drove his dog team under the burled arch in Nome on Tuesday evening, March 12, 2013. Race marshal Mark Nordman is at right. (AP Photo/The Anchorage Daily News, Bill Roth)
Mitch Seavey beneath the Burled Arch in Nome with his lead dogs, Tanner and Taurus. AP Photo/Anchorage Daily News, Bill Roth

Mitch Seavey congratulates second place finisher Aliy Zirkle after she arrived in Nome. (AP Photo/The Anchorage Daily News, Bill Roth)
Aliy Zirkle finished second in the Iditarod for the second consecutive year when her dog team crossed under the burled arch in Nome on Tuesday evening, March 12, 2013. (AP Photo/The Anchorage Daily News, Bill Roth)
I was bummed about missing the finish because I wanted to take my own awesome photos of the finish. Plus my daughter, Addison really wanted to see them.  She woke up the next morning crying that she had missed them because she had fallen asleep.

On thursday I took the kids out to lunch at a local restaurant called Milanos where they have Italian, American, and Asian/Korean cusine and soft served ice cream! 

Reese, Aiden, and Jeremy
I'm a Zombie!
Mmm ice cream

 But that's not all.  Mitch Seavey was in the house!!!  One of the workers there recognized him and he was sitting in the booth right behind Addison.  She was so excited to see him.  She kept popping her head over the booth.  This photo is much better than anything I could have taken at the finish line with large crowds.  Congratulations Mitch!  By the way I think he ordered a milk shake.

Addison with Mitch Seavey 2013 Iditarod Champion photo by Kim Knudsen
My favorite musher is Nome grown Aaron Burmeister who came in 11th this year... I missed this one too (slept through it).  I failed as one of his biggest fans.  For more info on Aaron see the blog post below.http://nomemade-nomealaska.blogspot.com/2013/03/aaron-burmeister-future-iditarod-first.html

Here are some other photos I took of Iditarod finishers...
Jessica Hendricks bib #54 coming off the ice and into Nome photo by Kim Knudsen
Jessica Hendricks lead dog photo by Kim Knudsen


Jessica Hendricks photo by Kim Knudsen

Travis Beals bib #22 coming into Nome from off the ice in 37th place.  Short afterwards under the finish line he proposed to his girlfriend.  She said "yes".  Photo taken by Kim Knudsen
Justin Savidis bib #34 coming off the ice and into Nome in 38th place.  Photo taken by Kim Knudsen
Matt Giblin bib #64 coming off the ice and into Nome 39th place.  Photo taken by Kim Knudsen



No comments:

Post a Comment